Microsoft Corporation Support Engineer Manager in San Jose, Costa Rica
Azure is one of the most exciting businesses to be part of at Microsoft today. Not only is Azure one of the fastest growing services at Microsoft, it is also highly strategic and a key pillar in Microsoft’s overall Devices and Services strategy.
Azure technical support is in POD model now. We have support teams categorized by Azure services – IaaS, PaaS, Azure DB etc. This position is for PaaS support team, focusing on the App Services business in the US.
Azure consistently presents new challenges in servicing customers in new and ever changing ways. The opportunity for you is to be part of the evolution of Azure and cloud support services, to be constantly challenged as the Platform expands to provide broader capabilities to customers, support customers using a service rather than on premise Microsoft products, and to work in collaboration with multiple Microsoft teams inside of CSS and the PG (Operations, C+E BGs and PGs, Services, etc.)
The role's key accountabilities for the Azure Technical Support Engineer Manager will be
• Building, organizing and managing the necessary FTE and vendor global teams required deliver Windows Azure Technical Support for Azure PaaS PODs.
• Attract, recruit and retain the right talent with the focus to create an industry-leading service delivery team, build diverse and inclusive teams, enable an environment in which people can do their best work, and identify/develop future successors and team members. Demonstrate subject matter expertise in management/leadership/innovation within Microsoft Cloud Strategy.
• Define the mission, strategies and set goals for the team to set the function for success
• Design processes for consistency, flexibility and efficiency
• Research the best practices, algorithms, technological development across the company and industry and bring them to the team
• Build effective relationship with CSS leaders, Microsoft engineering and business leaders for effective projects for right business impact.
• Allocate requisite resources per priorities
• Provide oversight on the projects & programs to ensure delivery quality
• Manage budget and timelines
• Be actively engaged in the customer loyalty initiatives driven by Azure PaaS PODs within your direct reports, and manage escalations in your domain
• Define coverage and technical scope, establish priorities and roadmap for products covered, and evaluate and implement the service to cover select Local Languages.
• Coordinate and communicate with field teams (Sales, TAMs, and PFEs) to ensure the right consumer expectation setting.
• Define standard procedure for customer/operations interaction for critical incidents. Define OLAs with other support teams. Optimize collaboration & hand-offs with support depth teams.
• Deploy the appropriate tooling that support the process and enables the team to ensure SLA delivery and improve the customer experience.
• Work with Supportability PMs and PG to define on boarding process for new Azure products/feature that will be included in the scope of PaaS Technical Support PODs
• Drive the readiness of new tools, process and people to ensure SLA delivery
• Establish an escalation management path, and ensure it is followed appropriately.
The role is expected to provide the following:
• Proactive response to potential problems and opportunities
• Strong business acumen and the ability to think and act strategically
• Polish and presence to effectively interact with Microsoft executives and teams including the Azure Business Group, Product Group, and Customer Services & Support
• Thought leadership regarding the technology and technical support including organizational structure, readiness, and supportability
• Influence of escalation partners regarding cross-team workflow, process, and boundaries
The ideal candidate is someone who has a track record of:
• Understanding and passion for Microsoft's and Competitor’s cloud services business.
• Exceptional leadership skills working in a complex, matrix organizational structure.
• Demonstrated influence in driving complex and broad cross-organization initiatives.
• Ability to drive resolution of issues across multiple stakeholders including Support organizations, Engineering and Operations.
• Ability to implement strategic decisions made by senior management
• Great communication skills and executive presence.
• Logical and critical thinking
• Coaching and mentoring
• Strong collaboration and negotiation skills
• Adept at getting things done, performing amidst ambiguity and complexity
• Technical aptitude sufficient to understand the Azure Platform and architecture
• Knowledge of at least one of the following domains:
o Windows Azure platform
o Windows System Administration/Virtualization
o Relational Database Design/Administration
• Direct experience in a leadership role in a global business, preferably with customer facing support or operations as part of the scope.
• Experience working in or with development/engineering teams
• At least 5 years of Technical Support experience including management experience of engineers in a customer and technical support environment
• Occasional international travel
• B.S. degree in Computer Science, MIS, business, or equivalent experience